Tuesday 27 December 2011

Rapha Festive 500 Ride #4

After spending a relaxing Boxing Day at Harrison Hot Springs and in Agassiz at my parent's house it was time for the journey back to Surrey.

This time I was going to stay south of the Fraser River, and expected a much flatter route. My wife and three kids would be leaving two hours after me in the car and we were hoping to meet up in Abbotsford for lunch.

As expected the rain was back as a set off from Agassiz. However, it only lasted about an hour and the sun even made a brief effort to break through the clouds.

An early nature break.
I had learned from the ride out that it is nearly impossible to remember all the key directions. So I made a route card, put it in a ziploc bag and stapled it in a loop around my handle bars.

Directions!
I was making good time on the flats through Chilliwack heading towards Abbotsford. Things were looking good to meet up for a lunch break. A coffee and a sandwich were waiting for me at Whatcom Road.

Lunch!

Clayburn Interlocking



I stopped at the Clayburn Interlocking, where the Southern Railway of BC and the Canadian Pacific Railway cross. I worked several years as a Conductor for the Southern Railway of BC, so I've been inside the shed many a time to operate the levers which change the signals. Although no longer operational, I believe it was the last operating interlockings of its type in North America.






The rain began again with about 20km left to go. I had taken off my rain pants and changed jackets already so I got soaked quickly. The conditions were absolutely atrocious and I decided to stop to warm up and eat. Luckily a Starbucks was conveniently located on my route through Langley :)

Starbucks to the rescue!
I arrived home in Surrey about 30 minutes ahead of schedule after four hours and sixteen minutes on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment