Saturday 24 December 2011

Rapha Festive 500 Ride #2

My first big ride of the Rapha Festive 500. I had only ridden over 100km once before, so this was a big challenge, and it was on Christmas Eve!

I had asked around for some information about cycling routes out to Agassiz and was given some great information by @alexpope_rando including a Garmin course and route card from a BC Randonneur event. Needless to say, it was very helpful.

I left early in the morning, hopefully arriving in Agassiz around lunch to meet my wife and kids at my parent's house.

Less than ideal conditions met me as I pulled my bike out from the garage. This was the scene early on as I approached the Golden Ears Bridge

Approaching the Golden Ears Bridge
The rain was relentless, as I slogged over the seemingly endless hills between Maple Ridge and Mission.

Ruskin Dam

I took shelter in a doorway to stay dry while eating.
I had pre-arranged with my wife to stop by with the kids so they could see me riding. We met up with about 30km to go. She had thoughtfully brought me a coffee and I took the opportunity to grab a dry jacket and my spare gloves out of the car.

The rain managed to let up after I descended from Mount Woodside into the flats on the outskirts of Agassiz. The last few kilometres would have been more pleasant if I wasn't soaked to the bone, but I had made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment