Sunday 29 July 2012

Rapha Rising Ride #6 - Valley GranFondo

This was my last chance to finish the Rapha Rising Challenge. I had estimated I would get around 900m of elevation gain for the 160 km.

I was riding the Valley GranFondo as a volunteer with Fort Langley Cyclery as a Ride Ambassador. I was there to provide mechanical support and route information to the participants. Some how I got selected to ride in the fast pairing, aiming for an average speed over 30 km/h. This had me a little worried since I had put in so much riding leading up to the GranFondo, including the 105 km I rode the day before.

Once we got rolling I actually felt really good. As I had found in the Festive 500, riding into "form" actually works, as long as you are taking care of your body's nutrition and rest needs.

My clock time was 5:00:29 at the finish. I knew it took more than 30 seconds to cross the start line, so I knew I had finished in under 5 hours.

I only stopped at two of the rest stations. I did have to answer the call of nature after the first rest station. I was so focused on grabbing food and refilling my bottles and getting my drive train adjusted, I forget one thing.

When I got home and uploaded my ride I was happy to see I had climbed 7,257 m for the Rapha Rising Challenge. That was good enough for #1178 in the world and #36 in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment