Tuesday 17 July 2012

Rapha Rising Ride #2 - Mount Seymour

A lot of planning went into this ride.

I had learned from the Festive 500 in December that family support is crucial for me to complete these challenges. I can't imagine completing the challenge without the support of my wife and our three kids.

I had spent some time planning a picnic lunch at the top of Mount Seymour and checking out playgrounds in Deep Cove so the kids had something to do while I was turning myself inside out up the mountain. Then they could drive up in the car and meet for lunch.

The climb up Mount Seymour was certainly a challenge. According to Strava's classification, the Mount Seymour climb was rated an HC, the hardest climb possible.  I had never rode my bike up anything close before. I found my rhythm early and just kept churning along around 12-13 km/h. I am inexperienced when it comes to long climbs like these, so I wasn't really willing to go too hard. Mount Seymour Road has markers every kilometre with the elevation on them. It was nice to see how far and how high I had ridden as I went along. Yet they were useless at the the same time because I didn't know what the end point was.

After a nice picnic lunch and some brief exploring the kids were loaded back in the car. Of course I could have loaded the bike on the car at this point, but you know that wasn't going to happen!

The descent was awesome of course. My wife managed to take a picture out the front window of the car as she was following me down the hill.


Next stop Cypress!


No comments:

Post a Comment