Monday 16 July 2012

Rapha Rising Ride #1 - Burnaby Mountain

I chose Burnaby Mountain for my first big climb of the Rapha Rising challenge. It's the closest "mountain" that I can ride to in a decent amount of time. It's still nearly an hour of riding before I hit the base of Burnaby Mountain.

The climb up is fairly straight forward. The road has wide shoulders and a fairly consistent gradient of 7-8%. I rode in the later part of the afternoon, so it was awfully hot. The sun was beating on me almost the entire way up. I didn't feel the greatest on the way up and it was reflected in my time. I knew I would be tired having worked overnight Sunday and only catching a few hours of sleep Monday morning.

The descent is a lot of fun, although as always far to short for the amount of effort required to get to the top.

Tomorrow I'm planning to head over to the North Shore to find some of the really big climbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment