Monday 11 March 2013

Preview - 2013 Spring Series #4 - Bradner

On Sunday March 17, 2013 cyclists from around the lower mainland and beyond will descend on the Bradner-Mt. Lehman area to compete in the fourth race of the Escape Velocity Spring Series.

Although I'm pretty familiar with the area I decided to do a small pre-ride to get a feel for the course.

Bradner RR - Course Map and Elevation
My family drove me out so we could fill up on cheap Aldergrove gas. After filling up and a snack they came to collect me. I was only able to complete two full laps before they came to pick me up.


A few things I noted:

  • Abundant rolling terrain
  • Uphill exits on three corners
  • Fast corner from McTavish to Satchell slopes slightly away from the apex
  • Fresh pavement from McTavish to Ross

The uphill drag along Bradner Road from 58th to McTavish is likely to be the decisive section. Aside from a sprint finish, I think it may be possible for a winning move to be launched coming out of the Nathan Creek dip on the final lap. Although this certainly would be expected.

My lap times on the recon ride were pretty slow, well off the times recorded during previous races. Of course riding solo can be much slower than in a group during a race. The power output that Strava estimates is closer to the previous races than my lap times. Honestly, I don't know if this means I'm looking good or not. I guess we'll find out Sunday. 

I'm looking forward to having some fun and getting my racing season started. Seeing the results of my preseason training is also going to be something to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the detailed recon! If your feeling strong, care to go for a two man attack a lap out? I had that plan last week and the guy who agreed backed out at the last minute as he thought the pace was too high...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,

    It sounds tempting, but I'm not so sure it would be a wise move. The long open straightaways would leave you visible to the main bunch nearly the whole time. They would always be inspired to attempt to catch a breakaway.

    While I'm not overly experienced, from what I've seen lower category riders care little for the consequences of riding hard. They will ride themselves out of the race just to catch a breakaway, even if they have no teammates to work for. They just ride hard for the bunch because they can.

    Just keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete