Sunday 16 December 2012

Rapha Festive 500 Planning


Planning is in full swing for the Rapha Festive 500. Only 7 days to go!

I love planning. Luckily I get to do quite a bit of planning as a rail traffic controller. I do enjoy just getting out and going for a ride sometimes, but for these Strava challenges I like to have a pretty good plan in place.

I don't often upload my rides to Garmin Connect, Strava is number one in that department. The best parts of Garmin Connect are the course and workout creation features. You can plan your rides or stationary trainer workouts ahead of time and then upload them to you Garmin device. An average speed or pace can be entered so you'll finish your ride on time and it will tell you if you've strayed off course. 


This 84 kilometre loop covers some of my favourite territory. Lots of opportunities to stop and grab a coffee and warm up.


An expansion of the previous route, this 116 kilometre ride heads further east and down into Glen Valley.


I'm tempted to try out this route. Originally it was my plan for the BMC 79 Mile Challenge, which I had to abandon at the last minute. I'd probaby cut out the little detour over the Alex Fraser bridge which I added to to boost the distance over 79 miles. The route is quite urban in some sections, I'm not sure how much effect that would have on my average speed.

I still have to balance these rides with my work schedule, so more planning is in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment